During our lives we go through different physical and mood changes, we face various temporary adversities that confront us and wear us down; showing us that time is still there, ready to mark us in one way or another. In fact, there are situations that make us change the perception of things: to the point that we notice that what we once believed to be true is actually false and what we clung to so strongly is merely ephemeral and intangible.
But no matter what happens in our life, if there is something that remains is the fact that we experience love. Whether from our mother, siblings or partner, each of us has experienced this universal feeling, and we rejoice in perceiving that there are people willing to love us; But what about the times we feel the opposite? Are we sure what it really means to love? Have we experienced the maximum expression of love?
The Bible touches on the subject of love several times. It is clear that the Bible in general is a great love story that also brings us the truth of this feeling or decision. So bringing our doubts into the light of the word will bring us clarity and an inescapable truth: we were created to love and be loved.
Love from a non-secular view
A quick secular perspective
The world has its own definition of love, adapted to the incomplete experiences they have lived through. If we look at RAE we see that if they are clear about something, it is that without love we are incomplete, here are the first three results:
(From Latin love, -ōris).
1m Intense feeling of the human being who, starting from his own insufficiency, needs and seeks the encounter and union with another being.
2. m. Feeling towards another person who naturally attracts us and who, seeking reciprocity in the desire for union, completes us, makes us happy and gives us energy to live together, communicate and create.
3. m. Feeling of affection, inclination and delivery to someone or something.
The RAE conceptualizes love based on the deficiency of the human being to remain alone, to a sense of insufficiency. It is few words as a mere selfish feeling that only seeks to fill us through others ; It is clear to say that we are incomplete, but if we do not know God.
We said at the beginning that: we were created to love and to be loved, a great and beautiful truth that sometimes we do not want to accept. It is that we must refer to the Bible and notice the great success behind these words:
What is love?
7 Beloved, let us love one another; because love is from God. Everyone who loves is born of God, and knows God.
8 He who does not love has not known God; because God is love.
9 In this was shown the love of God toward us, that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
10 In this is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
There is no book on earth clearer than the scriptures. The definition of love goes beyond a selfish action action to feel full. The bible shows us that it is not a feeling, love is God and God is love, so it is impossible to think of a reality other than this.
If we analyze verse by verse we have:
- “Beloved, let us love one another; because love is from God. Everyone who loves is born of God and knows God”: The first lines of this verse let us see that love is more than a feeling, to the point that love is demanded of others. And it makes clear a point that is a bit exclusive but that is the truth behind so many sentimental misfortunes: he who does not love God has not experienced love.
- “He who does not love has not known God; because God is love”: The real concept of love, the pinnacle of human history, and the basis of the hope that we still hold in Christ Jesus. “God is love” as much as the world wants to change the meanings and adapt them to their era, subtracting the value it deserves, this concept will never change because God is immutable.
- “In this the love of God was shown toward us, that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him”: It is impressive how God loved us to such an extent that there was no limitation to prove it to us. Loving is a characteristic of God and only in him can we know what it means.
Knowing how to love more than a feeling is a decision that begins when we allow God to take control of our lives. Outside of Him, any experience that they want to offer us is a mere lie that will not be able to fill the need for affection in our lives.